Easy Midweek Dinner! Really delicious with all the comfort eating of a traditional fish pie with no nasties. The modern twist of coconut and avocado lightens the traditional recipe adding fresher flavour and increasing the nutrient value. Entirely gluten and dairy free and freezer friendly, this is a winner with all ages. Enjoy!
Created by gourmetglow on August 20, 2016
Easy midweek Dinner! Fantastic to prep in advance and freezes well. All the comfort eating of a traditional fish pie without the naughtiness, entirely gluten and dairy free and bursting with Omega Fatty Acids. Perfect Brain Food!
- Category: Mains
Fish & Poaching Liquor
- 500 grams mixed sustainable fish
- 1 litre nut milk (or enough to cover fish)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 6 juniper berries
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 fennel bulb, finely diced
- 1 bag organic spinach
- 2 avocados, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 bunch dill, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 120 grams dairy free spread
- 120 grams gluten free flour
- 300 millilitres coconut yogurt
- 7 large floury potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 tablespoons dairy free spread
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 180C
- Place the fish in a large saute pan and cover with the nut milk and aromatics. Put on a low heat to lightly poach.
- Meanwhile cover the potatoes with water and bring to the boil. Cook until soft but not mushy. Drain and leave to steam
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add the onions and fennel. Sweat for 10 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook until the water released has evaporated. Spread the vegetables out over the base of a pie dish.
- Once the fish has poached, remove and lay on top of the vegetables in the pie dish. Lay over the avocado chunks. Strain the poaching liquor through a sieve and discard the aromatics. Retain the liquid in a jug.
- In a pan add the butter and flour and melt whilst stirring to form a roux. Remove from the heat and gradually add the poaching liquor, whilst stirring to ensure no lumps. Once you've added around 600ml, return to the heat and stir constantly until the mixture is a coating consistency. Boil for 1 minute, remove and stir in the coconut yogurt. Add the chopped herbs, taste, season and pour over the filling.
- Mash the potatoes with the dairy free spread and enough of the remaining poaching liquor to make a smooth, creamy mash. Season and use to top the pie.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden. Serve with vegetables or salad.