Perfect light lunch or summer starter. This is quick and easy to prepare but bursting with freshness!
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1 corn cob
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- preheat oven 200C. Put the tomatoes in a roasting tin with the whole, unpeeled garlic clove. Sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with 2tbsp olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a griddle pan and char the corn cob on all sides until slightly blackened. Remove and leave to cool.
- Sweat the onion in the remaining olive oil until soft but not coloured. Add the cayenne and the roasted tomatoes. Squeeze the garlic out of its skin and add with the balsamic vinegar. Blend with a hand blender, season with salt and black pepper. Add lime juice to taste and cook for 10 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Whilst the tomatoes are cooking, use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob. Its easiest to stand the cob vertically and run your knife down, keeping it close to the core.
- Add the corn to the tomatoes and stir in the coriander. Taste again and season. Top the avocado haves with the salsa (this can be served hot or cold.)
- Any remaining salsa keeps well in the fridge and makes a delicious dip or even pasta sauce!